Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment
Skin Cancer Doctor Miami
Basal Cell Carcinoma is considered a skin cancer that can be acquired by any people, especially those that are always exposed to sunlight and high amount of UV rays. People who are faced with the cancer, should acquire the best Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment that can help them control the spread of cancer and prevent it from affecting any parts of the body.
It may start like a small dome that is translucent or dark skin and it may grow slowly until it would affect nearby tissues. Due to the fact that it will affect healthy tissues in the skin, it is still better that people look for a Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment that can stop it from growing.
If you want to find the suitable Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment for you, check out certain treatments available:
- Surgical Excision– With this procedure, the tumor would be cut out and then stitched up to prevent its growth.
- Curettage and Desiccation– One of the more preferred methods used by dermatologists, this method is done by using a curette, a spoon-like instrument, to scoop out the basal cell carcinoma. For the process of desiccation, electric current is applied on the area for controlling the continuous bleeding and kill all remaining cancer cells. This method allows healing without the need to stitch the area. Most dermatologists make use of this method for patients with small cancers and are not located in crucial areas like the trunk and other extremities.
- Cryosurgery– This is a procedure done through freezing the cancer cells. Normally, the chemical use for freezing the cells is liquid nitrogen that will not only freeze abnormal cells but also kill these cells.
- Radiation Therapy– For cancers occurring in skin areas where surgery is difficult to apply and for elderly patients, at maximum of 20 treatment sessions is required for an individual.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery– There are patients who would go back to their physicians because of the cancer’s recurrence. This is where this Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment comes in really handy. With this treatment, the surgeon will remove a piece from tumor and will examine it under a microscope meticulously. This may be very painstaking for patients but this has been proven to cure the cancer in an impressive rate of over 98%. Through this treatment, the affected area will be mapped without the need to estimate the depth and width of the tumor or lesion.
This treatment is recommended for those with basal cell carcinomas that are larger than the usual size and are located in parts like ears, scalp and corners or a patient’s nose. In most cases, a reconstructive surgeon is required in the treatment for achieving best results after the operation.
- Vismodegib – Vismodegib is a recently FDA approved drug that is recommended to be taken by those with advanced or locally recurrent basal cell carcinoma.
If you want to get the best result for treating your basal cell carcinoma, it is best that you consult an expert like Dr. Deborah Longwill and ask her about the best Basal Cell Carcinoma Treatment suited for your current condition at Miami Center for Dermatology.